Lovers of alternative wear are consistently tickled by the lace, latex, and all around wild fashions revealed at the yearly Metropolitan Museum of Art Couture Costume Institute Gala. This year the wardrobe revealed at the 2019 Met Gala, played fast and loose with the theme of ‘Camp: Notes on Fashion.’
On the more conservative side:
- Bella Hadid wore a long black gown with hip cutouts, while her sister took to the scene in a silver, gold and white catsuit with matching feathered jacket designed by Michael Kors.
- Kim Kardashian paid homage to Sophia Loren’s stunning see-thru wet outfit from Boy on a Wet Dolphin wearing a Thierry Mugler nude bodycon dripping crystals off its sides and sleeves.
- Co-host Jennifer Lopez once again rocked a sexy Versace. This time she was dressed in a silver fringe dress with a plunging neckline, high leg slit and a matching silver fringed headpiece.
- Adwoa Aboah had a tightly-spotted leopard print train trailing down her dress, spreading across five pink steps of the Met’s ‘red carpet.’
The more alternative fashion choices were as much about the outfits as the accessories:
- Katy Perry dressed herself as walking chandelier complete with lit light bulbs at her hips and head
- Jared Leto in his long red gown carried the most unique accessory of the night…a replica of his head.
- Cardi B. wore a rust red Thom Browne, featuring a carpet-like circle that spread off of her ten feet wide.
- Cara Delevingne’s headpiece of eyes balls, teeth, fingers and bananas matched the wild color choice of her tight rainbow shirt and pants.
But, lastly, it was Lady Gaga (another co-host) who offered probably the most arresting style of the night…changing through four outfits.
Starting with a hot pink Brandon Maxwell that she pretty much seemed to be sitting in the middle of (the thing sported a 25-foot train) Gaga then peeled out of this first dress into a strapless black gown unfurling a black umbrella as her accessory. Then out from under the A Star Is Born star peeled off her second wardrobe piece to show herself in a fitted strapless pink dress, complete with 80’s chunky big cell phone. Then (yes, in one last outfit to show) Gaga finally stripped down to her lingerie; fishnet stockings, black panties and bra paired with, high-heeled boots. Making sure to accessorize this last look Gaga was wheeling a “Haus of Gaga” pink wagon with cowboy hats, and Brandon Maxwell’s rose purses inside.
The Met Gala never disappoints.